Here it is--the U.S. Department of Agriculture's new food icon, revealed this morning. This new graphic is simpler to understand than the food pyramid and represents the latest recommended dietary guidelines. At their simplest, these boil down to:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals―and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
Not all of those are represented on the MyPlate icon, but I think the plate does make the basic advice easier to see and understand. What do you think? Is it an improvement over the pyramid?