Event: National Ski Safety Awareness Week
Date: January (next: January 19-27, 2013).
Location: Ski areas and resorts around the U.S.
Organizer: Industry groups including the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) and the National Ski Patrol, along with ski areas
What to do: Participating ski areas will place a special emphasis on safety this week. Events and activities might include:
- Stationary chairlifts for practice
- Kids' coloring sheets and activity pages devoted to safety
- Special prices, giveaways, deals on safety equipment (buy a helmet, get two lift tickets for the price of one)
- Flyers, stickers, signs, and other displays promoting good safety practices
- Kids' poster contest featuring the skier's responsibility code
- Helmet head contests—who has the messiest 'do hiding under their helmet?
- Safety scavenger hunts
If there are no events in your area, be sure to brush up on skiing safety guidelines before every ski outing. You can learn more about the importance of helmets through the NSAA's Lids on Kids campaign. The NSAA also has a campaign devoted to safety on ski lifts.
For more information: National Ski Areas Association site or your local ski area's website
See all January events.