After your child participates in a sporting event, make his participation more meaningful by stressing effort and attitude over performance and points, and by giving specific examples. Try these helpful post-game questions and comments:
- Did you have fun?
- I am so proud of you!
- I noticed that you really tried hard to ___.
- Did you learn anything new?
- Your practice seems to be paying off!
- The whole team really worked together to ___.
- I know you're sad that you lost. Is there something you want me to help you practice before the next game?