1. Parenting
Catherine Holecko

Zumba for kids

By September 14, 2009

Updated November 2013: These DVDs are no longer available, but other options are. Read more about Zumba for kids.

If you're looking for a fun, dance-based workout for your tween, you might want to know that the superpopular Zumba fitness classes are now available on DVD, including a special boxed set for kids. My 7-year-old and I reviewed one of the DVDs in the Zumbatomic collection, which offers three DVDs, an audio CD, and a comic book. The DVD starts off with a cartoon done in a funky, hip-hop style, which we thought was pretty funny (it was about a mad scientist who was trying to find the secret of happiness in increasingly silly ways, while a much wiser mouse acted as his lab assistant).

The workout itself offers 30 minutes of nonstop dance moves, emphasizing "contemporary urban styles such as hip-hop, reggaeton and pop." Word to the wise--there is no instruction. This isn't like a more traditional aerobics class or dance workout where the steps are broken down and you learn them in parts, then put them all together. No, the dancers on the DVD just jump right in to their Latin dance-inspired moves and have faith that you'll be able to jump in and follow along. This old mom was no match for the energetic dancers, but my daughter kept up pretty well, sticking with the DVD for the entire 30 minutes without getting frustrated.

The company says this product is aimed at 4- to 11-year-olds, but I think it would be pretty tough for a kindergartner to grasp. My 4-year-old had little interest, even though he loves music. But for an older child who's into dance, I can see this being a favorite. And yes, we definitely worked up a sweat testing it out!

Product photo: Courtesy Zumba

Comments
September 14, 2009 at 7:44 am
(1) Pam says:

ZumbAtomic will get gets your kids moving. Try the DVD and also look for ZumbAtomic classes in your area at http://www.Zumba.com. Click on “Find A Class” and enter your zip code. Look for the Zumba Kids icon. Kids love to move and kids love ZumbAtomic!

September 14, 2009 at 10:01 am
(2) Lisa says:

I agree some of the dances are hard for a younger child BUT the point of zumbatomic is to get kids moving. My children are 1 and 3 and they may not do what Gina (the main person on the videos) does but they get up and move! They love their zumbatomic.

Great review though!

October 26, 2009 at 9:48 pm
(3) Janice Litvin says:

I agree Zumbatomic (aka Zumba Kids) classes are probably geared for ages 5-8 & 8-12. Teens of course would love either Zumbatomic or Zumba (regular). I’ll be teaching Zumbatomic in Contra Costa County beginning next summer.
See http://www.ZumbaContraCosta.com
to be added to my class & schedule updates.
Janice (at) ZumbaContraCosta.com

June 9, 2010 at 2:32 am
(4) Janice Litvin says:

Walnut Creek’s first Zumbatomic classes will begin in Sept. at Tice Valley Gym – Exercise Studio. Registration will be on the Walnut Creek Rec site: http://www.WalnutCreekRec.org.

Or for more info, contact Janice (at) ZumbaContraCosta.com

January 5, 2011 at 1:27 pm
(5) Wendy Smith says:

I was unable to purchase the ZumbAtomics DVD set from the Zumba web site. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase this?
Thanks.

March 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm
(6) Amanda Davis says:

I’m looking for the dvds!!!!! Can’t order them on Zumba.com Where did you get them?????

March 23, 2011 at 8:17 am
(7) Laura says:

I was lucky to stumble upon the one set I found on ebay because it was listed as Zumba Atomic (instead of Zumbatomic) So, I recommend trying different spelling variations in your search.

March 23, 2011 at 10:48 am
(8) Catherine says:

Thanks, Laura! I checked in with Zumba about this and they said they may be re-launching Zumbatomic this year, so stay tuned for more news.

June 4, 2011 at 11:08 am
(9) Cece says:

I’m only 10 years old and I weigh 148 pounds!!!ˇ I need help pls is this going to work or should I go to a class near my house.

June 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm
(10) familyfitness says:

Cece,
A class might be a great way for you to add more exercise to your routine. You sound like you are concerned about your weight. Please ask an adult, like a parent, relative, teacher, school nurse, or guidance counselor, for help in reaching a healthy weight. You can do it!

Catherine

June 23, 2011 at 4:12 am
(11) Erika landeros says:

my kids ages 2,4,and 6 enjoy so much Dvds and they do follow the steps and have fun, they are not perfect moves but with practice the will learn.

September 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm
(12) shelley says:

I was wondering where would i be able to buy the zumbatomic box set? I have looked everywhere & i can’t seem to find it to buy it? Please help!

March 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm
(13) jean says:

where can I buy the zumba atomic dvds and cds?

August 14, 2012 at 6:16 pm
(14) Lupita says:

I am another one looking for the dvd set. I have spent hours trying to find any link to these dvd’s for sale. They are not in http://www.zumbatomic.com or anywhere else. Very frustrating.

September 9, 2012 at 11:14 am
(15) Marie says:

Me too I try to found Zumbatomic for kids !!! I don’t found nothing !!! Is very bad !!!!! If somebody know where to buy it please tell us !!!! Thank you