Get Started With Family Fitness
By Catherine Holecko, About.com Guide
Start by preparing your mind and revving up your motivation to move. These tips and advice will help you get ready to go (and convince your family to come along for the ride, too).
- Create a Simple Family Fitness Plan
- Forget Exercise, Have Fun!
- The Bonding Benefits of Family Fitness
- Kids' Fitness for the Reluctant Child
- 10 Ways to Raise a Couch Potato Kid
- Make Fitness Fun for the Whole Family: 10 Top Tips
- Workout Motivation Mantras
Create a road map for your journey to a fitter family. Know what you and your kids need when, what you can do and expect at each age and stage, and how to keep everyone safe.
- Fitness for Preschoolers
- Fitness for School-Aged Kids
- Fitness for Teens and Tweens
- Fitness in Puberty
- Is Your Child Overweight or Obese?
- Help Your Overweight Child
- How to Set Weight Loss Goals
- Weight Loss Goals for Kids
- Losing Weight After Pregnancy
- Teach the Importance of Activity
- 10 Lifestyle Changes to Make Today
- Preventing Injuries, Promoting Health
What You Need
While it's easy to add activity to your daily routine with little or no equipment, having some sports gear and active toys on hand may help encourage children to play longer and more enthusiastically. Try some of these hand-picked favorites.
- Homemade Fitness Equipment and Toys for Families
- Active Toys for the Whole Family
- Active Toys for School-Aged Kids
- Active Toys for Toddlers and Preschoolers
- Top Outdoor Toys
- Small Size, High Impact Active Toys
- Roll 'Em: Balls of Every Shape and Size
- Find the Best Bicycle for Your Child
- Must-Have Home Fitness Equipment
- Buying Home Fitness Equipment
- Buying Athletic Shoes
Find an Activity
There are hundreds of ways to work out, play actively, and increase fitness. Finding the ones that work for you and your family can be the key to sticking with a healthier lifestyle. Switching up your workouts helps keep everyone motivated and reduces the risk of injury, so try something new today!
- 5 Activities to Do With Your Kids
- 12 Rainy Day Activities
- 5 Ways to Exercise With Children
- How to Choose a Kids' Sports Program
- The Best Sports for Kids
- Noncompetitive Sports for Tweens to Try